Sunday 24 February 2013

A Reflection on Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology


Reading back over the “Personal Theory of Learning” I developed during week one of this course, I can see that my fundamental beliefs remain the same. I still believe that students learn best through a hybrid combination of the different established theories of learning, especially the cognitive, constructivist, and social learning theories. I still do believe that there is a mental process that must take place in order for connections to be made between new ideas and those already established in one’s understandings. Likewise, I maintain that the communication and collaboration components of the social learning theory play an integral role in an individual’s learning experience. While my beliefs did not change drastically, my general understanding of each of the learning theories has certainly deepened. Instead of only knowing about these theories through the observations made in my classroom and personal learning experiences, I can now identify elements of them in the effective instructional practices used in my classroom. For example, it is now clear to me how the art of summarizing utilizes principles from the cognitivist learning theory, and cooperative group activities support the ideas behind the social learning theory.

An immediate adjustment that I will make to my instructional practice is that I will cultivate the use of educational technology as a learning tool more so than as an informational tool. I can now see that I am guilty, as an educator, of monopolizing the use of technology in my classroom. While educational technology may always play a role in my daily lesson plans, it is disproportionately used as an instructional tool. I would like to make my lessons more student-focused, and I would like to create lessons where students have more of an opportunity to use technology as a learning tool. Two tools that I am especially interested in utilizing in my classroom are VoiceThread and webquests. Both of these tools support the constructivist theory of learning. In each activity, students, or student groups, are required to create an artifact or solve a problem to show their learning. Both activities also embody elements of the social learning theory as they encourage cooperative learning. I am excited to expand my use of VoiceThread and webquests with my students. The practice and opportunity to create useful applications for these tools within our coursework has prepared me to use them in my class.

Looking at my classroom in its current state, I am able to identify two areas that I would like to improve or maintain over the long term. The first goal is to make my classroom into a more student-centered environment, where my students regularly utilize educational technology to construct artifacts, solve problems, and show their learning. The utilization of the resources presented in this course will help me to solve this goal. Incorporating tools such as webquests, advance organizers, VoiceThreads, Power Points, Prezis, concept mapping, wikis, and blogs will provide my students with opportunities to become proficient users of these types of tools. I can work toward this goal by starting small and adding one technology-based, student-focused activity per marking period. I can continue to make additions until I have at least one activity per unit of learning in my curriculum. The second goal that I endeavor to meet is to make my classroom into a place where new ideas and technologies are welcome. Many of my current students will be responsible for using technologies that have yet to be invented when they embark on their career paths. I need to foster an environment where it is permitted, and even encouraged, to experiment with new media and technology. By opening up my plans to the inclusion of new ideas, and staying abreast of innovative resources through learning communities and technological blogs, my classroom will be a place where students can prepare for their futures.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment