Sunday 29 July 2012

Digital Native Podcast


Mark Prensky is credited with coining the term “digital native” to describe any individual that was born into a media-rich environment. Prensky (2001) explained that a digital native is also a “native speaker of the digital language of computers, video games, and the Internet.” In this podcast, I take a look at my own personal technology use as a 29 year old teacher. According to Prensky’s criteria, I am a digital native myself. However, I recognize drastic differences between the characteristics of my technology use and those of other digital natives born more recently. The second portion of this podcast includes an interview with my younger sister, Annie. Annie is eight years younger than me, and certainly meets all of the criteria to be considered a digital native. Listening to both of our answers showcases the drastic development of digital and Internet-based technology that occurred between my birth and that of my sister. Though there are only eight years separating us, the amount of technology we were each exposed to during our childhoods had a definite effect on the individuals we were to become. I have no doubt that these differences would be amplified should I have been able to interview one of my current students, who has had that much more of a technology and media-rich childhood than either Annie or I.


References:

Prensky, M. (2001a). Digital natives, digital immigrants. On the Horizon, 9(5).      

No comments:

Post a Comment